Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Due Date


Today I turned both my papers in. It is at the same time a feeling of relief that its over, and regret that I couldn't put more work into it. That is inevitable when you have only a week and a half to write two big research papers and keep them at Oxford-level though. Overall I am very happy with my work here. Regardless of what grade I get, I learned so much during my research of the two essays I did not know before.

After getting up early and having my usual breakfast of cereal and tea, I went to the European Union class. We discussed both the foreign policy of the EU ad Turkey's potential membership. Foreign policy within the EU is an interesting topic because of the continued search for a European identity and the lack of a clear spokesman. Turkey is also a fascinating subject; if demographic trends continue and they joined, Turkey would be the biggest country in the EU, surpassing Germany population-wise. They would also be the first Islamic country, and the border would be stretched all the way to Iraq. Lively discussion ensued, and the class was insightful as always.

From there I went to the day's lecture, which was titled Four Fifths Expired? Al-Qaeda: The Deadly Franchise. It was given by Dr. Mark Raford, an Irish former soldier and policeman. The talk was very interesting, he touched on the lack of leadership in Al-Qaeda at the moment and the fact that they depreciate in both numbers and credibility when they go without a large scale attack for a ling time. Terrorism is obviously still a large threat, but the chapter on Al-Qaeeda may be coming to a welcome close.

I left the lecture and went on a brief walk, getting a traditional cornish pasty for lunch and reading a little for my next class. I went to British Politics next, where we discussed the pre-WWII years and appeasement. We spent a lot of time discussing Chamberlain as PM and his role in appeasement with the fascist powers of Europe. One really interesting thing we discussed were the instances when British politicians went to meet Hitler in Germany before the outbreak of war. The way they described the Nazi leader was very odd to a room full of people who grew up already knowing the monstrous things he was capable of. Lloyd George and Chamberlain both met him and described him as a charming, even likable man.

After class, I went over to Blackwells to meet my good friend from high school and college, Andy Brill. We went to the Eagle and Child for dinner, where we ate in the same room the Inklings would meet in. He is studying in London at King's College, so we discussed how much we love London and Oxford and all the fun we've had here so far. After deciding to form our own world-famous literary group, we went over to another famous pub, the Turf Tavern. We had a lot of fun talking, laughing, and having a good time. I walked with him back to the train station and he went on his way back to London, and I headed back to Exeter.

Tonight I am trying to get some more of my presentation for Thursday done, and maybe going out with some Exeter people tonight to celebrate the end of our papers. Huzzah! I'll update you soon about the continuing efforts during my last week to see all of Oxford. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment