Monday, July 11, 2011

Lecture Time


Today was my first day of lecture. I got up early to have breakfast in the dining hall (cereal and orange juice), and then had to have any electronics I brought with me checked by the school electrician before I was allowed to plug them in the outlets in my room. It's nice because for the first time on my English trip I have a reliable source of internet. Hooray!

Before my lecture, I went out to buy post cards and look around the ares close to Exeter. I found Blackwells bookstore, which was recommended to me by a couple of professors at Bellarmine. When I walked in I wasn't completely sure I wasn't in heaven until I tripped over a staircase and it kind of hurt. The bookstore is so awesome. It is a massive place full of every category you could imagine. I also found a second hand department on the third floor, and they even have a room just for rare books. I left before destroying the sad remnants of my bank account, but I know I'll be back. Back with a vengeance and a wad of cash I should probably save for food.

After getting back from Blackwells I went and found the room for the lecture. It was given by Dr. Tom Buchanan, who is also teaching my British Politics course. He spoke on current British politics, giving us a good background on the last 20 years or so. He discussed Blair and Brown in the New Labour government as well as the current coalition government with Cameron and Clegg. It was really interesting, especially the bits about Rupert Murdoch and the News of the World scandal. I can tell he is going to be a great lecturer during my coursework here.

After the lecture I was free to explore the city. Blake and I went back to the hall to grab lunch from the buffet, which was great. I can get used to this free food deal. Then we both headed out to try and find some Oxford clothes, being the student/tourists we are. We shopped around until we both decided it was time for rest. I went back to read some news online and chat with the family. I got to talk to my brothers and sister on facebook video chat which was awesome, and I'm hoping to get more video chatting in soon. Then I went out and explored some more, mainly getting lost, but also finding some cool reference points. I found Christchurch  cathedral and the Bodleian Library, both of which are beautiful. I got some great pictures and headed home.

The Bodleian was closing when I got there, but I can't wait to check it out. I feel very honored to be given a pass to study in such a famous library. I know I'll be in there all the time as soon as my classes start.

After resting in my room and reading a little (The Sicilian Vespers by Steven Runciman), I headed to dinner. I sat with my friend Fernando from Madrid, as well as Felix from the Philippines and Sarah from London. Also, there was a woman named Ruth from South Carolina who sat next to me. I love talking to her because she is probably the oldest person to be taking the summer courses here, and she has some great perspectives on things. She reminds me a lot of my grandmother, and was making me laugh really hard by explaining that her hearing problem makes her sometimes confuse what the news says. She told me she went almost a whole day thinking "baby seals killed Osama Bin Laden."

Fernando and I discussed the European Union and our expectations for class tomorrow, as Sarah and I talked about American politics and our thoughts on the tea party movement. Then I headed out for a pub crawl that almost everyone in the program was going on. We went to the 'Eagle and Child' first, and I got a picture of the Rabbit Room where Tolkein and Lewis would meet. Then we went to the 'Lamb and Flag' and after that the 'Royal Oak.' The group went on the another, but I had to get back after the long day. I'm calling it a night early to try and get up and ready for my first course. Thanks again for reading, I'll update you on how the courses go tomorrow. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment